Welcome to the class blog! The John Jay - Vera Fellows Program is a collaborative effort between John Jay College and the spin-off agencies of the Vera Institute of Justice, combining an internship and participation in a seminar taught by faculty from John Jay's Interdisciplinary Studies Program. (To see a video about the John Jay - Vera Fellows Program, click here.) Part of the seminar experience is weekly participation in the class blog, which keeps the conversation going from week to week and will be a place for you to share your thoughts and concerns about the materials discussed in seminar as well as the internship experience. The opinions expressed on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the Vera Institute of Justice or its spin-off organizations. While the blog is open to the public and anyone, theoretically, can comment, only class members and invited guests will be able to post. You can also look for us on our student and alumni page on Facebook.
Each student has been assigned one week to write the "post." Please post within 24 hours after class. Every week, each student must comment on the post (feel free to comment more than once). Please comment by Monday afternoon to allow time for further questions and responses and so that we can read all the entries before class.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Advocacy and confusion.

Hi Verons. This wasn't planned and Professor Rose and Warerston don't know about this post (I apologize if I'm stepping out of bounds with this) but something just happened in my class that couldn't wait and I'd really want to hear from you guys (hence the reason why I didn't write this in my journal instead. 

I was in my class today and there's one student in front of me who has vocalized more than once that he hates black people. He's said this time and time again and my heart boiled each time but considering the fact that we were in class, I didn't want to be "disruptive" nor did I know where to start. We broke up into group work today and he is in a group next to me. We are constructing a play and he proceeds to say that he'd want the black girl to be raped in his play because he "hates black people" (the class is rape in a global perspective so rape and/or violence had to be incorporated). This classmate is black himself, and IDENTIFIES as black so part of me may have felt like he was either kidding and/or felt bad for him for feeling this way about his own race.... But this was my last straw. 

I left my group and turned directly to him and said "I just have to know. Do you hate me because I'm black?" I started our conversation off this way and he said "I don't even know you, so no." I said right. "So what is with this false generalization of an entire race.. That includes you?". He proceeds to say that he doesn't agree with the culture of violence, the "stupid things they do", blah blah. An Asian guy in his group comes in and says "I don't think it's the race he hates, but the culture".. The black guy comes back in the conversation and says "it's not like I will act upon my hate and kill black people or anything. It's like me not beleiving in God and not bashing an entire religion because of it" SO much was wrong with this conversation but for the sake of time. I'll just give you an example of how I tried to handle this.  

I decided to dissect each aspect of what he said was validating his hate. For instance: he said that black people do stupid things and are "always up to trouble". I tell him that this mentality is the reason why stop and frisk is such an issue. Unnecessary police brutality and excessive force. You believing that this is true is a continued part of the problem. It matters. You are an asset to the system. And if I sit here and listen to you say this.. So am I. 

I have two questions. Does it still matter that someone is a racist even if they don't act upon their hate? Is this an example of self hate because he hates his own race? Help me Verons help me. 





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Andrene- I'm so sorry this happened. It's not OK on any level. He WAS acting on his hate and that matters very much. What happened is so problematic on so many levels. "The culture?!" As we know from our analysis of culture in our seminar "Culture" is a subjectivity! Let's talk more. We are here for you Andrene! We have your back.

Alisse Waterston said...

Andrene: I apologize for being brief, but I think you need to meet with your professor and talk to her/him about this. There are policies in place at John Jay College about such speech. I have to run now, but look forward to talking more when I return from my travels.